Whether you’re looking to alleviate pain, improve your mobility, or simply maintain your overall health and wellness, chiropractic care is a safe and effective alternative treatment option for a wide range of conditions. In this article, we will delve into what chiropractic care is, when to consider it, the risks and benefits associated with it, and more.
What is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is a form of alternative medicine that focuses on diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders, primarily through manual adjustments and manipulations of the spine. This type of care emphasizes the role of the spine and its impact on the overall health and wellness of the body. Chiropractors use a variety of techniques, including spinal adjustments, joint mobilization, soft tissue therapy, and exercise rehabilitation to treat their patients.
When to Consider Chiropractic Care?
There are several reasons why someone might consider chiropractic care. Some of the most common reasons include:
Back pain: Chiropractic care is often sought out as a non-invasive treatment option for those suffering from back pain. Spinal adjustments and other chiropractic techniques can help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and promote healing.
- Neck pain: Like back pain, chiropractic care can be an effective treatment option for those experiencing neck pain. Chiropractors can help reduce pain and stiffness in the neck and improve range of motion.
- Headaches: Chiropractic care has also been shown to be effective in treating tension headaches and migraines. By reducing tension in the neck and spine, chiropractic adjustments can help alleviate headache pain.
- Joint pain: Chiropractic care can also be used to treat joint pain, such as pain in the hips, knees, and shoulders. By realigning the joints and reducing inflammation, chiropractic care can help improve joint function and reduce pain.
- Sports injuries: Chiropractic care can be an effective treatment option for those recovering from sports injuries. By reducing inflammation and promoting healing, chiropractic care can help athletes get back to their sport more quickly.
- Overall wellness: Chiropractic care can also be used as a preventative measure to maintain overall health and wellness. Regular chiropractic adjustments can help improve mobility, reduce the risk of injury, and promote overall well-being.
Risks of Chiropractic Care
While chiropractic care is generally considered safe, there are some risks associated with the practice. Some of the potential risks include:
- Stroke: There have been rare cases of stroke associated with chiropractic neck manipulation. However, the risk of stroke is very low and occurs in less than one in a million cases.
- Herniated discs: There is a small risk of herniated discs associated with spinal manipulation, particularly in the neck. However, the risk is low and can be minimized with proper technique and patient selection.
- Compression of nerves: In some cases, spinal manipulation can cause compression of nerves, leading to pain or other symptoms. However, this risk is also low and can be minimized with proper technique and patient selection.
It’s important to note that the risks associated with chiropractic care are generally very low, and serious complications are rare.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
There are several potential benefits of chiropractic care, including:
- Pain relief: Chiropractic care can be an effective treatment option for reducing pain in the back, neck, and other areas of the body.
- Improved range of motion: Chiropractic adjustments can help improve mobility and range of motion in the spine and other joints.
- Reduced inflammation: Chiropractic care can help reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to reduced pain and improved overall health.
- Improved posture: By aligning the spine and improving muscle balance, chiropractic care can help improve posture and reduce the risk of developing spinal conditions.
- Improved athletic performance: Chiropractic care can help athletes recover from injuries more quickly and improve their overall performance.
- Improved overall health: By promoting proper spinal alignment and reducing inflammation, chiropractic care can help improve overall health and wellness.
- Non-invasive treatment option: Chiropractic care is a non-invasive treatment option that can be used in place of or in conjunction with traditional medical treatments.
Chiropractic Care Techniques
Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders. Some of the most common techniques used in chiropractic care include:
Spinal adjustments: This technique involves manually manipulating the spine to realign the vertebrae and improve mobility.
Joint mobilization: This technique involves gently moving the joints to improve mobility and reduce pain.
Soft tissue therapy: This technique involves using massage, stretching, and other manual techniques to reduce tension in the muscles and other soft tissues.
Exercise rehabilitation: This technique involves using specific exercises to improve mobility, strength, and range of motion.
Chiropractic Care for Specific Conditions
Chiropractic care can be used to treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Back pain: Chiropractic care is often used to treat back pain, including lower back pain, upper back pain, and sciatica.
- Neck pain: Chiropractic care can be effective in treating neck pain, including whiplash injuries and chronic neck pain.
- Headaches: Chiropractic care can be an effective treatment option for tension headaches and migraines.
- Joint pain: Chiropractic care can be used to treat joint pain in the hips, knees, shoulders, and other joints.
- Sports injuries: Chiropractic care can be an effective treatment option for athletes recovering from sports injuries.
Choosing a Chiropractor
When choosing a chiropractor, it’s important to do your research and select a qualified and experienced practitioner. Look for a chiropractor who has a valid license and is in good standing with their professional organization. You may also want to read reviews from other patients to get a sense of the chiropractor’s approach and bedside manner.
During your first visit to a chiropractor, they will typically perform a physical exam and may take X-rays or other imaging tests to help diagnose your condition. They will then develop a treatment plan based on your specific needs and goals.
In summary, chiropractic care is a safe and effective alternative treatment option for a wide range of conditions, including back pain, neck pain, headaches, joint pain, and sports injuries. While there are some potential risks associated with the practice, serious complications are rare. If you’re considering chiropractic care, be sure to do your research and choose a qualified and experienced practitioner.
With the right care, chiropractic adjustments can help you alleviate pain, improve mobility, and maintain your overall health and wellness.
Contact us right now and book an appointment
Conditions we Treat
Compared to most medical treatments, few interventions can initiate back pain relief and healing like chiropractic adjustments can!
Low Back and Neck Pain
In a study published in the British Medical Journal 2003, 183 patients with neck pain were randomly allocated to manual therapy (spinal mobilization), physiotherapy (mainly exercise) or general practitioner care (counseling, education and drugs) in a 52-week study.
The clinical outcome measures showed that chiropractic adjustments resulted in faster recovery than general practitioner care. Moreover, total costs of the chiropractic-treated patients were about one-third of the costs of general practitioner care.
Another study published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeuticsfound patients with chronic low-back pain treated by chiropractors showed greater improvement and satisfaction at one month than patients treated by family physicians. Satisfaction scores were higher for chiropractic patients.
A higher proportion of chiropractic patients (56 percent vs. 13 percent) reported that their low-back pain was better or much better, whereas nearly one-third of medical patients reported their low-back pain was worse or much worse.x
In a study funded by NIH’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine to test the effectiveness of different approaches for treating neck pain, 272 participants were divided into three groups that received either spinal manipulative therapy from a doctor of chiropractic (DC), pain medication (over-the-counter pain relievers, narcotics and muscle relaxants) or exercise recommendations.
After 12 weeks, about 57 percent of those who met with DCs and 48 percent who exercised reported at least a 75 percent reduction in pain, compared to 33 percent of the people in the medication group. After one year, approximately 53 percent of the drug-free groups continued to report at least a 75 percent reduction in pain, compared to just 38 percent pain reduction among those who took medication.
Headaches (Tension and Migraine)
Second only to back pain, headaches are one of the most common conditions regularly managed by chiropractors. At the time I conducted this research, over 230 peer-reviewed articles referenced chiropractic’s ability to help cure, prevent and ease the burden of headaches and migraines in people all across the globe!
A group trial found that 22 percent of people who had chiropractic treatment saw the number of attacks drop by 90 percent. In that same study, 49 percent said they had a significant reduction in pain intensity.
Compared to most medical treatments, few interventions can initiate headache relieflike chiropractic adjustments can.
Exciting research is currently being conducted via upright MRI showing how upper cervical adjustments affect various brain-based conditions. What we have seen so far is quite remarkable.
Not only are MRI scans revealing that cerebral spinal fluid and blood flow are markedly increased after a chiropractic adjustment, researchers are observing that cerebellar invagination (when the cerebellum drops down below the skull line) is being reversed and brain plaquing (common in multiple sclerosis patients) is disappearing!
Montel Williams, the famous TV host, was interviewed about his experience as a MS patient under chiropractic care. Check it out here to see how it changed his life!
Chiropractic has long been heralded by natural health care providers as a natural method to prevent back surgery.
In fact, the Journal of the American Medical Association just recently published its low back pain guidelines and suggested that people suffering from back pain first try chiropractic before resorting to surgery.
Last year a clinical trial was published describing how patients suffering from the debilitating condition frozen shoulder responded to chiropractic care.
Of the 50 patients: 16 resolved completely; 25 showed 75 percent to 90 percent improvement; eight showed 50 percent to 75 percent improvement; and one showed 0 percent to 50 percent improvement.
Chiropractic adjustments for scoliosis coupled with muscular rehabilitation techniques may help prevent the progression of scoliosis. Organizations like the nonprofit Clear Institute founded by Dr. Dennis Woggon have set out to empower healthcare professionals with an effective chiropractic system to treat people with scoliosis.
They’ve perfected a model and discovered that it is possible to effectively treat the condition without the use of restrictive braces or dangerous surgeries. In many case studies, participants have seen a 10 percent to 30 percent decrease in their scoliosis curvatures. You can read about some of the cases here.
If you or a family member suffer from scoliosis, our team of doctors are here to help you!
There is a reason why athletes both today and in the past, like Michael Phelps, Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, are under regular chiropractic care. In fact, over 50 percent of NFL teams have a chiropractor on staff.
Because it is so effective at pain-based and pathological conditions, one of the most overlooked aspects of chiropractic care is that it enhances personal and athletic performance. Studies have sown that it:
- Reduces inflammatory cytokines
- Boosts your immune system
- Enhances pulmonary function
- Decreases mental and oxidative stress
- Relieves muscle tension
- And can naturally increase your energy level
Studies have even proved, objectively and subjectively, that chiropractic patients experience “overall increased bodily function,” which includes bowl regularity and mental clarity.
Basically, because it helps place your body in the position where it can heal itself, chiropractic adjustments can free your immune system up to focus on keeping you healthy, which enhances your ability to think, move and perform.
|Cox Flexion distraction|
|Diversified Manipulative Therapy|